Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Deja vu in Helsinki


In the early 1970s, when Marimekko was all the rage, I made myself a dress from a huge pink/red print.  It was a highly impractical dress, sleeveless and floor-length, and I recall wearing it only once, although maybe I have forgotten.  But the print was unforgettable, embodying the minimalist-yet-wow Scandinavian design esthetic.

We had the pleasure of spending the first part of May in the Baltic, and Helsinki was one of the stops on our cruise.  One of the other women in the group, a quilter, told the guide that her fondest wish was to visit a Marimekko shop, and the guide figured out a way to make that happen.  Since it was a big favor, I thought I should come along too -- a favor for two isn't quite as outrageous as a favor for one.

When we walked into the shop what did I see but my identical pattern from the 70s.

And then I saw that they now offer the same design in at least three different sizes:























And on coffee mugs, trays, cosmetic pouches, napkins, and who knows what else.



It made me feel good to know that some things never change.

No comments:

Post a Comment