Tuesday, December 25, 2018

Merry Christmas!


Since my daily art project this year has been maps, what else should I use in the Christmas ornaments?

Early in the year I made several daily arts with letters cut from maps pasted onto map backgrounds, experimenting with varying degrees of value contrast.  I liked the effect and thought it would work on a smaller scale for ornaments.

I cut up various maps and mounted them on mat board, then cut initials from maps of different colors, but my early attempts were too low-contrast.  So I mounted the initials on solid color paper, just enough to give a sharp outline. 

On the back, I wrote the year with a brush and India ink.

As often happens, I got all the ornaments that needed to be mailed done in time, but lollygagged over those to be delivered in town.  And I just finished the ones for Ken and me yesterday afternoon.  I rationalize my procrastination by saying that there is no more peaceful activity on Christmas Eve than to finish up a task I love. 

We don't exchange a lot of presents at Christmas time, thus sparing us the "joys" of crowded shopping malls and traffic jams.  Instead I treasure the quiet time of making ornaments every year for a lot of special people. 

I wish for every one of my friends, family and internet pals a happy Christmas and a very good year ahead. 

No comments:

Post a Comment