Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Fluorescent vs Daylight


Today, I want to share a piece of information with you about lighting. I painted my Austin painting in my garage with the door open. So the daylight was my light source. However when I view my painting when the garage door was closed, I turned on the fluorescent light on the ceiling. I saw a significant color change. It makes the painting look horrible. To investigate what is going on, I took a photo under the fluorescent illumination and compared it with the photo I took under the daylight. The difference is obvious. Even though the photos are not exactly the same as what I see, but it is rather consistent with my observation.



What is going on? It is not the problem of color temperature because a fluorescent light has about 5000K, which is very similar to that of the daylight. I feel the problem is related to the spectrum of the fluorescent light. The fluorescent light spectrum is not continuous. It has only 4 colored bands leaving many wavelengths in dark. Have you see any galleries using fluorescent light to illuminate their paintings? There must be a reason.




No comments:

Post a Comment